Sunday 22 August 2010

Brassbands & baking

Good evening

Can't believe we've arrived at another Sunday evening already - this week has gone by so quickly.

Big son thoroughly enjoyed his day as a parking attendant at the carnival on Monday - free food & wages of course helped.  He managed to find himself a couple of other odd jobs to do last week too - he spent one day helping MrVV in his warehouse - lifting boxes, packing orders and generally by useful. He then spent a morning helping one my sisters tackle her jungle of a garden - like Tesco's say 'Every little helps' - his bank balance is benefiting nicely.

Little son ended up being my helper at home both in the garden and the kitchen. This holiday he's been really keen to help with the cooking and we've got to the point now of leaving him to do stuff by himself with me nearby as moral support.

One day on our wander down the lane into town we spotted some damsons growing in the hedges - a quick sample to test how edible they were and we were soon picking;

We gathered quite a few - some for eating and some for little son to cook with;

He decided on a crumble - he added a couple of apples too. This is the before it went in the oven shot;

Slightly heavy handed with the cinnamon but very scrummy :)

Another day he made bread rolls for lunch;

Definately an interest to be encouraged.

This week has seen the veggie patch start to produce a reasonable amount of stuff;

Enough for a veggie risotto - a family favourite

This afternoon little son & I headed out with MrVV to a brass band engagement. This time it was in Oulton Broad in the park there. The weather at times threatened rain but it held off. In fact after I'd take pictures, the cloud broke and it got really warm. It was a rather pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon - listening to the band and catching up on some knitting! Hopefully it won't be many more weeks till Little son is playing with the big band too;



There was also racing on the broad today - no idea what sort of boats;

All in all a rather lovely afternoon.

See you soon

xxx Vicki xxx

10 comments:

topchelseagirl said...

Wow does your son want to pop round here and cook for me? Definitely an interest to be encouraged.

Anonymous said...

Those damsons look good. I love crumble, but no-one else in our house eats it so I don't bother making it...xx

Kandi said...

The damsons do look wonderful, I bet it was gorgeous in a crumble!
Kandi x

bellaboo said...

Very impressed with your son's cooking skills.Could I send my OH over to your house for some lessons! Plum crumble..yum,yum,my favourite.

Bellaboo :o)

Josie-Mary said...

How nice to see your son cooking :)

Lisa said...

How lovely your son has shown such an interest and skill in the kitchen.
Lisa x

Sarah said...

It's great to see boys cooking and your son's efforts look wonderful. My two are 'keen' helpers which can hinder proceedings sometimes!
x

My Handmadehappiness said...

your veg is ace vikki i only hope to produce something similar.... my rocket is turning out well fingers crossed!!!

Anonymous said...

From a fellow non-driver to another, judging by your lovely days out it's a big help having a hubby who can drive, I think I'll get the DVLA paperwork and see which of us fancies it!

Anonymous said...

Tescos - I'm still seething. Now here's the thing, I have grocery deliveries but you have to re-register to order clothing. My postcode doesn't exist but they actually already deliver to me AAAARGH!!!!!