Monday 4 July 2011

Jam & Jail

Good evening

Happy 4th of July to my American visitors and followers :)

I hope everyone has had a good weekend? I've visited a few blogs earlier and shall be having a good read this evening so I can see what you all got up too. We had a lovely weekend. It started rather late on Saturday morning - I don't think anyone was awake before 10am and the teenagers were still dozing at almost 11am when MIL called round!

Saturday was spent doing weekend jobs - washing/ironing/grass cutting - intermixed with some busy doing nothing moments too;

 Finishing a few more blanket squares and trying to read the last few chapters of a soon to be overdue library book!

I had to go into town with the boys - all this sunshine & rain had turned them into yetis again and haircuts could not wait till the summer hols. Rather glad I did venture out - my favourite little charity shop had some inexpensive pretties;


3 flowery tea-plates and one smaller stripey one - I picked the Sweet Williams from the garden - I think the seeds for these were from a bloggy swap at some point.

Sunday was a family day - not quite such a late start! We headed firstly to Southwold - the usual drill - chips, walk and then ice creams. As we'd parked on the common we bought chips in town and sat on Bartholomew's Green to eat them. Couldn't resist a pic of little son in the stocks;

On the way home we called into a nearly PYO farm - like last year, the jam cupboard is empty and it needed refilling. Of course asking teenage males to pick strawberries can only lead to a few missing the tubs and 'falling' into their mouths!! However after a short while we'd picked a couple of kilos. We decided to have some for pudding last night and the remaining ones were to be jammed;

From this

Via this;


To this - 6 (5 pretty ones and one less pretty one - hence its not in the photos! ) jars should last my jam lovers a little while - hopefully until we've had time to go raspberry picking and replenish my jam jar supplies!

  Can you see the strawberry fabric in the background - I bought that today - planning on making myself a new summer frock - sometime between now & next weekend!

As ever this time of the school year means things start to happen - we've brass concerts, awards evenings, leavers assemblies, work experience, visits to High School, parents evenings and music exams. So like last year I might not be blogging quite as much - however if there's spare time rest assured, blogging will always get priority over housework ;)

See you soon

xxx Vicki xxx









22 comments:

Crafts @ Home said...

That jam looks really delicious, I love those saucers, how come I never find anything beautiful when I pop into a CS? Glad to hear blogging wins over housework :)
Sue Xxx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend!

Victoria xx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

What a lovely corner of the garden you've set up for yourself. I love jam, but made so much strawberry last year we've not eaten it all yet. Must make some scones!

Josie-Mary said...

Looks like you had a lovely sunny weekend :) x

Lisa said...

I do like the fabric you bought, it'll look great as a summer frock.
Lisa x

Madison said...

LOL! Poor little son. Lovely plates you bought. Sounds like you had a fun filled and packed weekend.

Madison xxx

fee @ chipper nelly said...

chips and ice cream - MMMmmmmm.
Yes - postie came (I thanked you on my blog but you sound as up to your eyes as me!)
Will complete my promise and make something out of it before too long!
fee x

topchelseagirl said...

I'd like to have a go at jam making.

Catherine said...

What a lovely cheerful spot to read and crochet! I think I would spend my entire day there and leave everyone else to fend for themselves!! LOL!! Cx

♥ emma bear forever ♥ said...

Those pics just make me want to make some jam right this very minute!

Vix said...

Blogging always gets priority over housework! Now that's a motto I could easily live by.
Your jam looks gorgeous. x

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful restful weekend ... :0)

Apples and Pears said...

Hi Vicki - many thanks for your lovely comment. Your jam would be perfect with my yoghurt muffins!!! xx

Apples and Pears said...

Oooo just noticed!!! I used to have that little NOddy toy as a child! I had completely forgotten about it xxx

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

I love, love, love your strawberry fabric, patchwork cushion, pretty jams and lovely thrifty plates :o)

I'm a bit scared to try jam again since my blackberry jam episode last year when I was left with 6 jars of blackberry cement lol.

Looks like you've been having fun anyway my lovely, and i can't wait to see that dress all made up!

Take care Vicki, and lets hope we get some sunshine for the rest of the week :o)
xx

Unknown said...

I love sweet williams they are my favourite flower! The strawberries look scrummy as does the jam!

Pene said...

Strawberry jam yum yum! That fabric is lovely can't wait to see it made up, it's very summery.
Hugs
Pene x

Tracy said...

Lovely weekend by the sound of it - that jam looks scrummy!

...Nina Nixon... said...

Yum - strawberry jam and all that fabric. Good luck with the frock making.

Nina x

Unknown said...

Yummy jam! I love the strawberry fabric too, looking forward to seeing the finished frock! :) x

janis said...

I would have loved some of that jam on my toast this morning!
Cute photo of your son in stocks.
And I love your plate finds!

bibbitybob said...

It looks like you had a lovely weekend! x