Thursday 27 September 2012

Shades of red and other colours

Good evening

What a difference a few hours made - the rain Monday afternoon gave way to a beautiful sunset here in Suffolk - luckily I was in the right place at the right time and snapped a picture on my phone;


We were lucky here - yes it rained but there was no flooding and destruction like in other parts of the country - quite shocking to see the news pictures.

Tuesday I went to visit my Grandma - as ever I had a plastic tub with me so I could collect the blackberries that grow along the driveway. I also raided her orchard as I knew there were pears that were ready to pick - some for her and some for me. I also collected some of the windfalls for jam making.

 After lots of peeling & poaching of the pears - it was time to add them to the blackberries I've been collecting - the perfect amount - 1kg of fruit for 1kg of jam sugar. After bubbling away nicely it was time to jar it up - 6 jars in total - 5 for us and 1 for my Grandma :)



I've also been making pressies this week - this time for a stitch and bitch group friend - a simple string of rainbow felt hearts finished off with a jingly bell. Each heart being edged with blanket stitch in a contrasting colour;


Today there was a very rare sight. Me wearing trainers! and also gym gear. Yep I've rejoined the gym - I used to go regularly a few years ago and enjoyed it but the job I had at the time increased its hours and sadly I stopped going. Well after thinking about it since I stopped physio I finally made the call the other week and today was my first session with an instructor. Off tomorrow for a proper work out - I wonder how much my body will ache on Saturday? Probably quite a lot but am sure it will be worth it long term!

 As its the end of the month almost it time for 2 mosaic pictures. Firstly 9 pictures that sum up September in the VV household;

 Spiders, berries, butterflies, back to school, The Tour of Britain, autumn fruits, leaves changing colour, the steam fair at Henham and lastly chutney making time.

There have even been a few makes this month - mostly for the fair in 2 weeks time - more have been made since these pictures were taken. I need to spend a day with my sewing machine this weekend as there are strings of bunting to be made too.
Right that's more than enough for tonight - my eyes are feeling very tired. As soon as Little Son gets home from brass practise I'm off to bed!

See you soon

xxx Vicki xxx
 

13 comments:

Beki said...

WOW what a sky xx

**Anne** said...

That sky was certainly beautiful. Your jam looks delicious, I love homemade jam. Good luck going back gym. You are going to feel terrific.
Anne xx

Thrift Bee said...

Is there much more satisfying than lining up a batch of newly made jam for photo. Pear and Blackberry sounds delish.

Tangled Sweetpea said...

What a gorgeous sky! And your jam looks scrummy!
Victoria xx

Anonymous said...

Love your new header and we had an amazing sky last night, a double rainbow and the sky looked quite yellow. I took some photos, so must download them and see how they came out.

Lisa said...

Bet the jam will be delish on hot buttered toast!
Good luck with the gym session.
Lisa x

moonstruckcreations said...

Spectacular skies!

The jam looks yummy, what a treat you will have in the winter slathering it on toast.

Good luck at the gym!

Helenxx

Crafty Helen said...

I love your Christmas decorations, the little houses in particular. XX

Miss Magpie said...

Good luck with the gym I don't envy you that one.

Floss said...

We had just the same sky last night - I love to think how people around the world see the same things at the same time. I am also looking at 'your' tablecloth as I type... nice new header, which exactly matches my current surroundings. Your jam looks great. We are planning chilli jam this weekend - we have SO many chillis!

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

I thought your first photo was the surface of Mars!! Love the Christmas decorations! I've got to make some little gingerbread men soon! Ada :)

Claire said...

we missed the bad weather, we were in NY and the weather was perfect!! :) feeling a wee bit chilly now we're home!

BadPenny said...

oh the aroma of the pears and berries stewing must have been wonderful ! I love your mosaics - never tried doing these.
Good luck, I joined the gym & have been about four times only. Joe has started to go regularly tp buff up !