Monday, 22 February 2010

Springtime

Well a girl can dream can't she?  Saturday was a lovely spring day - blue skies & a strange yellow blob that made your eyes hurt if you looked at it.  I left MrVV with little son (big son had gone off with friends to play badminton) whilst I headed out with my parents to a greenpeace/craft fair in Southwold.

2 of my sisters had a stall there - one selling cards & the other bags & purses - all gorgeous but no pics as I forgot my camera :(  A friend had a stall there too selling a range of handmade items - from clothes to decorative items.  I'm a sucker for anything with Russian dolls on it and I couldn't resist this rather pretty lady who has come home with me & now lives in my sewing room;


Sunday was definately not spring like so the only thing for it was to stay indoors in the dry & warmth & craft :)  I manage to finally sew together all the squares I've made so far for my blanket - can definately see the progression of ability!! (pics another day).  I was also keen to try something from a book that arrived last week;

I thought I'd make some of the fabric eggs to hang on my easter tree.  I though it might be easier to start with the bigger one - except it appears to be more ostrich size than chicken! So instead I've added a bunny face and it can hang by itself;


Think when I can get some more springlike fabric I'll try the smaller size & hope that ends up more normal egg sized.  This is the 2nd book I've got recently which has pictures of eggs & easter items hanging from branches cut from the garden.  This lovely book has a similar idea;


A lovely idea and one I'll definately be doing again this year - this is the only pic I can find of last years - wish I'd taken another when the twigs began to burst into leaf & when the jug was filled with daffs;

Well I've seen the forecast for the rest of the week, more rain and wintery stuff so I guess I shall be spending more time sewing & knitting - something positive to come from all this wet, cold & greyness.

The boys were back to school today, only another 5 weeks & 4 days till their next holiday - lets hope spring is truely with us by then.

xxxx Vicki xxxx

16 comments:

Mary Poppins said...

Ohooo I love the doll you bought, very sweet and I think your egg looks fantastically fine. I have to say I got that book a couple of days ago, there are a couple of pretties I think I could have a go at, but some of the figures look way out of my little league ;0)

X

magsmcc said...

I've always wanted to do a tree like this, but yours are so lovely, so right! Mine would not be so anything! I have two crafty friends getting ready for a craft fair stall- busy busy!

Linda said...

I am making a babushka doll at the mo! The Tilda books are fab aren't they ? I have just made the large hare - pics to follow on my blog later this week hopefully. You may be interested in a Tilda swap on Faerie Nuff's blog - closes tomorrow at midnight I believe.

Linda x

topchelseagirl said...

I like those decorated branches. Very Springlike.

bellaboo said...

My sister bought me some lovely eggs from Past Times a while ago and I never know how to display them so they sit in a bowl in the cupboard.Seeing that display with the branches has given me an idea....!

Bellaboo :o)

Kelly said...

The egg looks great! I just love the look of easter trees. I have some decorations I bought in America but some eggs are essential!

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh having big time Babushka love, love Posie

A Country Girl said...

Can't imagine who made the Babushka!
Have you looked outside? It's not raining!

A Thrifty Mrs said...

The babushka is gorgeous.
Those books look great.

made with love said...

Ooo, I got that book a while back. Well done on the egg. I think it looks lovely.
Love your babushka doll. I wouldn't have been able to leave it either.
Rachael XX

Pea Green Kitty said...

I absolutley love your Matryoshka doll!! Does she have a name yet?
I think the easter egg tree is a fab idea, I might give it a go myself.
x

maryannlucy said...

Not long til Easter then :) Lovely post x

Catherine said...

Would you like to come and do a craft fair with me next week...pleeeeease?!! LOL! I really need a little bit of your inspiration! Cx

VintageVicki said...

Catherine - I'd love too - if you were closer.

Right ladies - I look forward to blogs full of easter trees in a few weeks ;)

Duchess of Tea said...

The Russian doll is adorable. You are very talented darling, can't wait to see what you will come up with this next week. Stay warm.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Pam said...

I do like the look of that Springtime book - may have to add it to the list.
Even if the weather is still very, very white filled here, it's so good to look at blogs with signs of Spring.
P x